Thursday, June 24, 2010

Week 1 :]






  1. GENETIC ENGINEERING, RIGHT or WRONG?!

Hello! :D For the past few months, I've been currently interested in the subject of genetic engineering. The moment I studied it in Biology class, I found it fascinating. It amazed me on how an organism's genes can be directly manipulated and applied in ways that contribute to society. Industries such as agriculture and medicine have greatly benefitted from it.




My debate mainly concentrates on the question "IS GENETIC ENGINEERING MORALLY ACCEPTABLE?"

So far, I am confused on whether genetic engineering is a good thing or bad. I like how it helps many diabetics because insulin can be created through it. Also, I like how it can help people, but I am afraid that people will take advantage of it. For example, a person changing phenotype to the "popular" image. Everyone would end up looking exactly the same. There would be no individuality or uniqueness. We would live in a "perfect" society. Certain traits would no longer be special and lose its value because anyone would be able to have it if they wanted.

What do you think? Is it a good or bad idea to manipulate nature?



Debate
In my opinion, the debate was good.
-nice points
-interesting
Strongest: showing people horrors of war.
people should be aware of what's going on so they can be PREPARED for it!
-I think it makes civilians appreciate people going to war even more when they see what soldiers go through
-it helps people understand even if they find it scary
Weakest: people wouldn't understand if we showed them./ showing horrific photos of war is cruel
-how will people understand if we don't give them a chance?


No comments:

Post a Comment