Thursday, July 1, 2010

WEEK 2 :D


I watched the video on THE STORY OF STUFF. Things that caught my attention included the fact that the system was "linear". I had always known that much of the stuff we used couldn't be used again but I didn't know that the system was called linear. That seemed to make it clearer that if we don't change our ways soon, our planet would be on a one-way road to destruction....:O

Also, MANY things surprised me, especially the neurotoxin pillows. I can't believe that I've NEVER heard anything about pillows being toxic!!! I mean, everyone has to sleep on a pillow sometime in their life. For me, I sleep 7-8 hours a night on a PILLOW! I wonder how much damage has already been done to my poor brain... O_o

After watching the video, I felt REALLY guilty...because just the day before, I had boughten these really cute new pair of converse shoes because they were "in"...It made me feel like the video was talking about ME! But i guess that's a good thing because if all the people who watched the video felt the same way as me, then there's bound to be people who will realize that WE MUST CHANGE THE WORLD AND ITS PEOPLE! If there's enough motivation, people will start taking action and maybe, just maybe, the system will become one that doesn't waste resources or people :) WE created the old system and WE can create a new system, so GET STARTED!! :D

I totally agree with the video and here are my points :)

Point1: We need to stop consuming so much.
Argument1: Resources are being used at an accelerating rate.
Evidence1: 1/3 of our natural resources have been consumed in the past 3 decades.

Point2: Stop using toxic chemicals to create products.
Argument2: We don't know the full impact and effects of using them.
Evidence2: Only a handful have been tested for health impacts.

Point3: Incineration is really bad.
Argument3: Burning the garbage releases the toxic in the product.
Evidence3: Dioxin is the worst man-made substance AND it comes from burning our garbage.




Here's a link to an article about Hurricane Alex :)

No comments:

Post a Comment